We have a trampoline for the kids in our backyard. After two solid years of use, the original net poles that came with the enclosure were broken and bent. It became a hazard when poles would snap in half while kids were playing, and when one pole fell completely out of the net leaving a gaping hole for kids to fall through we knew it was time to come up with a plan of action to fix them.
One time we had a tree fall on one of our trampolines (like 10 years ago) and broke the net and poles. This time the poles broke and bent for a few reasons, including heavy snowfall, hurricane strength winds (who knew Colorado had such strong wind storms?), and large teenage boys wrestling and jumping into the net. I’m sure the Sumo Bumper Boppers didn’t help either.
So here we are with these bent poles. We maybe could have purchased a new net surround and poles, but it would have been pretty expensive, plus, the poles were thin and broke easily, so I didn’t really want to invest in the same product. After some brainstroming, we came up with a great solution – Electrical conduit.
This stuff is cheap, comes in a variety of sizes, and any DIYer can cut it easily with an inexpensive and easy to use tool. For this trampoline project I purchased six 3/4″ x 10′ pieces of conduit.
You will also need to purchase a tube cutter. Here’s a similar one on amazon.
Once we had a plan for the poles, it was time to brainstorm a way to attach the poles. The original poles had holes in them and were screwed on, but we wanted an easier way to quickly take the poles down in case of a pending snow or wind storm. I found these stainless steel hose clamps and knew they were the perfect solution.
They are the same kind of clamps you use to attach your dryer hose to your dryer, but a much smaller version.
The first step is to remove all of the old broken poles. We just went around each pole and unscrewed them. It was a quick job.
Next, we measured the length of new poles we wanted. We actually made them longer than the original poles. They are the same height at the top of the net, but they sit lower to the ground at the base. Once we knew our length, I worked quickly to cut each piece of conduit. Seriously, cutting this stuff is so easy. It does take a little strength, but it cuts quickly.
Attaching the poles was slightly tricky, only because the clamps don’t come apart. They unscrew really large, but they don’t actually disconnect. We had to lift the trampoline off each leg just enough to slide two clamps on. Once the clamps were around the leg of the trampoline, we slid them in place and tightened them down around the new net poles.
We added two clamps per pole – one towards the top of the leg and one towards the bottom.
We worked our way around the trampoline, one pole at a time until we finished. We used a total of 6 pieces of conduit and 12 clamps.
The clamps are a great solution because we can quickly go outside and slightly unscrew each one to loosen the net poles free. During a wind storm we can pull the poles out of the net so the trampoline doesn’t get as damaged.
Our trampoline looked so terrible and trashy I just knew we were going to have to purchase a new one. I was pleasantly surprised after replacing the net poles how new the trampoline looked again. Now it should last us a few more years at least.
I love using electrical conduit for DIY projects. Check out these two posts showing how to use conduit to create inexpensive curtain rods (we all know how expensive curtain rods can be!).
Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful week!
*This post may contain affiliate links